JA South Western Ontario is a member of JA Canada and part of JA Worldwide (JA), the world’s largest not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating young people about business. Through the delivery of hands-on, blended learning in entrepreneurship, financial literacy and work readiness, JA empowers young people to grow their entrepreneurial ideas, hone their work skills, manage their earnings, and secure better lives for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Since 1963, schools in South Western Ontario have relied on JA to prepare young people for success in an ever-changing global economy. JA South Western Ontario is responsible for the geographic area including the counties of Essex, Chatham-Kent, Lambton, Elgin, Middlesex, Oxford, Huron, Perth, Bruce, Grey, Wellington, Waterloo, Brant, Hamilton, Haldimand-Norfolk, and Niagara.
The Event Manager is responsible for coordinating and organizing annual fundraising events for JA Southwestern Ontario. Reporting to the Director, Philanthropy, the Event Manager will work with staff and various committees on all aspects of the events – sponsorship, logistics, ticket sales and registration, vendor management and ensuring exceptional guest experience. The Event Manager will also support program-related events as needed.
Plan and coordinate annual fundraising events, including but not limited to the London and District Business Hall of Fame (LBHF), the Waterloo Region Entrepreneur Hall of Fame, and golf tournaments:
- Work with volunteer committees to plan events
- Manage event budgets, setting revenue targets in conjunction with Director, Philanthropy and President & CEO
- Solicit sponsorships, registrations, in-kind donations, and auction items to achieve revenue targets
- Coordinate all aspects of events including venue selection, layout and set up, catering, decorations, event logistics, etc.
- Source and manage external vendors (e.g. video production company, audio-visual company) as needed
- Coordinate all aspects of silent auctions as (either online or hybrid), including online auction site setup, payment processing and pick up of items.
- Coordinate 50/50 and raffle licenses, tickets, tracking and reporting
- Ensure exceptional participant experience
- Conduct event evaluations to determine best practices and areas for improvement
Marketing and Communications:
- Send marketing materials to relevant stakeholders – potential sponsors, board members, past participants
- Ensure donors, volunteers and participants are thanked and recognized for their contributions
- Create presentations, draft scripts as needed
- Recruit volunteers to serve on event committees
- Liaise with vendors including venues, caterers, sponsors, graphic designers, printers, etc.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with in-kind supporters and community at large
Additional duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain accurate records in line with organizational standards and objectives.
- Represent JA in the community in a positive and professional
- Assist in organizing and executing program related events if/as required.
- Other duties as assigned
- Relevant post-secondary education and/or experience in event management is required.
- Experience organizing a wide variety of events, both in-person and virtual, is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with customer relationship management systems such as Raiser’s Edge or SalesForce
- Current driver’s license and access to a vehicle, as travel within Southwestern Ontario will be required
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Excellent organizational skills and proficient in time management.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member.
- The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and flexible to work within a team and independent work environment
This full-time position (40.0 hours per week) is available immediately with regular business hours and some evenings/ weekends. Remote work from a home office anywhere in the JA South Western Ontario region is possible; however, regular attendance at one of our office locations in London (head office), Chatham or Waterloo may be required, with travel as required to other parts of the region. The successful candidate must have a suitable quiet environment from which to work, with a desk and reliable and secure internet access. A laptop will be provided. The position reports to the Director, Philanthropy.
The successful candidate must undergo a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
JA South Western Ontario is an equal opportunity employer. JA SWO will not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed (religion), sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, disability, age (18 and over), record of offenses for which a pardon has been granted, marital status (including same sex partners), family status, or any other grounds prohibited by the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Are you ready to bring your event planning expertise to JA South Western Ontario? Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com by May 27, 2022. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
May 11, 2022