An opportunity for high school students to experience the thrills of trading on the stock market!
JA’s Investment Strategies Program (ISP) is a unique virtual opportunity for students in Grades 9 to 12 to experience the real-world ups and downs of trading on the stock market. Competing against others across Canada, participants explore the different ways in which people save and invest for their future.
The program includes interactive teacher-led lessons provided by JA that focus on key investment principles. These lessons culminate in an online stock market competition called Invest JA, where students manage their own simulated stock portfolio. This 6-week simulation uses live data from North American stock markets to teach students how to apply key investing principles in a real-world situation.
- Understanding the pros and cons of different investments, such as RRSP’s exchange-traded funds and GICs
- Follow a Canadian stock for the duration of the program
- Create a mutual fund
- Learn how to buy low and sell high
- Act as a financial advisor to apply what they learn
- Build a portfolio for the online stock market simulation
- Learn about socially and ethically responsible investment
- Learn how to identify investment scams
- Test their knowledge by competing against other teams from across Canada
By the end of Investment Strategies, students will know how to research and select investments and manage an online stock portfolio. This prepares them to make savvy investment choices throughout their lives.
Competition Dates for the 2023-2024 school year
Trial: Sept 25 – 29
Game: Oct 3 – Nov 4
Trial: Nov 27 – Dec 1
Game: Dec 4 – Jan 19
Trial: Feb 19 – 23
Game: Feb 26 – Apr 5
Trial: Apr 29 – May 3
Game: May 6 – Jun 7
I will know that becoming successful takes time and lots of failed attempts. I will use that to never get too down on myself when trying to become successful.
– JA Student