WE’RE HIRING: Director, Philanthropy
Director, Philanthropy, Full Time
JA South Western Ontario is a member of JA Canada and part of JA Worldwide (JA), the world’s largest not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating young people about business. Through the delivery of hands-on, blended learning in entrepreneurship, financial literacy and work readiness, JA empowers young people to grow their entrepreneurial ideas, hone their work skills, manage their earnings, and secure better lives for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Since 1963, schools in South Western Ontario have relied on JA to prepare young people for success in an ever-changing global economy. JA South Western Ontario is responsible for the geographic area including the counties of Essex, Chatham-Kent, Lambton, Elgin, Middlesex, Oxford, Huron, Perth, Bruce, Grey, Wellington, Waterloo, Brant, Hamilton, Haldimand-Norfolk, and Niagara.
As a member of the senior leadership team, the Director, Philanthropy will build and lead the resource development team for JA South Western Ontario. The Director will develop and implement an integrated strategy to obtain new, ongoing and increased support from corporations, foundations, organizations and individuals, as well as oversee fundraising events. This role collaborates closely with the President and CEO, the Director, Programs & Operations and the Director, Marketing & Communications.
LEADERSHIP, STRATEGY AND TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Develop the strategy to identify, cultivate, and steward partners, to raise both restricted and unrestricted funds for JA South Western Ontario.
- Lead and ensure the successful delivery of signature fundraising and stewardship events (i.e., Golf tournaments, London & District Business Hall of Fame, Waterloo Region Entrepreneur Hall of Fame), achieving financial and stewardship goals.
- Lead, manage, develop, and evaluate the resource development team in a manner that fosters an exceptional workplace culture.
PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT & ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT
- Implement the annual approved resource development plan, ensuring all targets, components, and JA and funder requirements, are met with excellence.
- Lead business development efforts to ensure prospects are moving through the cycle.
- Grow and build a pipeline of new prospects and opportunities that create meaningful partnerships.
- Oversee all aspects of partner relationships including prospecting, solicitation, grant reporting, stewardship, and communicating results.
- Prospect, solicit and steward select partner relationships.
- Create, implement, and monitor annual department performance including revenue and expense projections, and evaluation metrics.
- Research potential sponsors and donors and prepare sponsorship packages
- Collaborate with Program staff to understand team goals, ensure funding is sourced where and when needed, develop reporting, provide donor stewardship and recognition
COLLABORATION AND REPORTING
- Collaborate with the President & CEO, and senior management to develop and assess strategic and operating plans, including budgets.
- Act as primary resource development liaison with other charters and JA Canada, participating in national groups and initiatives as feasible.
- Provide input to reports and prepare briefings for senior management and the Board of Directors, participating in meetings and committees as required.
- Partner with the Program team to develop and expand partnership offerings aligned with JA South Western Ontario’s strategic plan.
- Cultivate a system of best practice for data collection and reporting via JA South Western Ontario’s CRM platform,
- Ensure appropriate use and recognition of donor/partner funds.
- Represent JA South Western Ontario at community events, as required.
- 8-10 years+ recent fundraising experience with demonstrated track record of achievement
- Completion of post-secondary education
- Experience using Customer Relationship Management system such as Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce
- Graduate of a fundraising program or working towards Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation an asset
- Superior computer skills, with experience in Microsoft Office and an aptitude for database systems
- Flexibility to work outside regular hours and use personal vehicle
- Willingness and ability to travel regionally, as appropriate
- Current driver’s license and access to a vehicle required, as some regional travel is expected
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and proficient in time management
- Knowledge of South Western Ontario and charitable sector is beneficial
- The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and flexible to work within a team and independent work environment
This full-time position (40.0 hours per week) is available immediately with regular business hours and some evenings/ weekends. Remote work from a home office anywhere in the JA South Western Ontario region is possible; however, regular attendance at one of our office locations in London (head office), Chatham or Waterloo may be required, with travel as required to other parts of the region. The successful candidate must have a suitable quiet environment from which to work, with a desk and reliable and secure internet access. A laptop will be provided. The position reports to the President & CEO.
The successful candidate must undergo a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
JA South Western Ontario is an equal opportunity employer. JA SWO will not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed (religion), sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, disability, age (18 and over), record of offenses for which a pardon has been granted, marital status (including same sex partners), family status, or any other grounds prohibited by the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 7, 2022. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
September 21, 2022